Pearl Education - Please enter your jewelry question or comment.
Pearl Education - Please enter your jewelry question or comment. > Pearl Earrings

pearleducation
Pearl Earrings, findings and such
05-29-2013, 09:56 AM

Our customers are always asking us about the different ways to set pearls for earrings. We created this simple design chart that shows a classic 8mm akoya pearl set in the different findings. Some are for pierced ears such as the screw backs, some are dangle pearl earrings and some are clip backs for non pierced ears.

Pearlanista
06-04-2013, 08:43 AM

Thank you for this excellent resource. I have never seen a layout like this before, and often wondered exactly what the differences/similarities among pierced ear settings were, as advertisements usually list them but do not give a complete picture of the settings as you do here. I have a question, is it easy to change from one setting to another? I am asking this because I find that, over the years, clip backs are much more comfortable for me to wear than posts or dangles even though my ears are pierced. I would really like to know if my cherished earrings could be converted to clip backs so I could wear them a lot more without experiencing earlobe pain or the heaviness that seems to accompany them now in just a few short hours. Thanks.

pearleducation
Pearl Earrings
06-04-2013, 09:11 AM

Absolutely. If you have pierced ears or not, you are more than welcome to send your pearls to AmericanPearl.com and have them refitted for the exact style that you like.

You can start the process by filling out this form: Change Your Pearls

The screw backs have a threaded post and offer extra security as the backing has to be rotated onto the post several times.

The push backs have a smooth post and tension back that allow the backing to slide back and forth on the post. They are less secure than the screw backs but easier to take on and off.

The shepherds hook earrings are a more casual look as the pearl dangles below the wire setting to offer movement while the pearls are worn and does not offer and closure mechanism.

The lever back is similar to the shepherds hook in that the pearl dangles, except it is not open ended on one side, has a hinge and a closed mechanism.

The clip backs are for non-pierced ears and offer a simply way to wear pearl earrings. Because the clip back earrings contain so much metal, if ordered in gold, they can be costly.

Last edited by pearleducation; 06-04-2013 at 11:59 PM.